Thursday, September 17, 2009

Guns of Navarone (Mohawk 09/16)

Last night I was invited out by Nathan from Fatback Circus to check out his friend Colby's band - Guns of Navarone. This 4-piece band had it's 2nd show in their music career and what a find to be booked at The Mohawk especially when Scion was sponsoring the bands that played this night. Also note that GoN are NOT a reggae dub band. There is currently another band out in this big ol world with the same name and they are definitely not as good as GoN I saw at the Mohawk last night.

The Guns of Navarone is the title of a book by Alistair McLean on WWII and later became a movie based on the novel. According to Wikipedia, the name Navarone is said to be taken from the
Bay of Navarinon located in Southern Greece. The synopsis according to Wikipedia is defintiely compelling enough to add McLean's title to my list of books to read.

Despite the horrible and unmixed (& horribly blended or lack thereof) sound, courtesy of the slacking-at-the-sound-board sound guy, Guns of Navarone definitely struck me as a great band that has streaks of Built to Spill and The Promise Ring sound but add more of a country-folk style to those 2. The lyrics are plentiful and the melodies made me move and anticipate what other sounds/songs they had up their sleeves. To a nice crowd for a Thursday night at the Mohawk, including a constant screaming girl, Guns of Navarone definitely kept the Mohawk moving and nodding our heads to their beats. I even saw a number with a mandolin and these guys don't mess around with their slew of various guitars. I look forward to seeing what else these guys can do and catch them around town at other venues...hopefully with a sound guy who knows what the hell he is doing. (my ears are still ringing and not in a good way).

I am not sure when they play next but I will update with their next gigs as soon as I find out.   Guns of Navarone play at Red 7 on October 18th. Mark them iphoners and calendars (if you're old school like me).

No comments:

Post a Comment