Friday, September 25, 2009

Conquistador Inc & Virgin Whores @Head Hunters 09/24

Last night, despite how crappy I was feeling, I braved my body aches and soreness to go catch Conquistador Inc at Head Hunters. I have seen these guys about 3 times now and every time I find myself cracking up during their set while listening to their songs because of their originality and find my hips a'hoppin to their beats.

Songs like "Put Your Mouth On It" and "Lisa Nowak" are defintiely some crowd favorites. "Lisa Nowak" is one of my favorites from the band that is written after the female astronaut that drove from Houston to Orlando with latex gloves, a black wig, ammunition, a hooded tan trench coat, a hammer, black gloves, rubber tubing, in Depends.
"Minor Rectal Bleeding" is another great song that has great bass lines and fun keyboard melodies and an audience participatory section that brushes up and tests your spelling abilities of the words minor rectal bleeding. (I nailed it every time, suckas!).

A.G (guitar/VOX), Frank (keyboard/VOX), Dave (bass/VOX), and Dylan (drums) all do us a favor in providing dance-y good ole rock and roll on any night at any venue about the subjects the band claims they only write what they know.

Conquistador Inc can be found on Facebook and at the dates below.
You've got to check them out and listen carefully when you are at their show. You are guaranteed to have a dancing good time and smirk every time they spell out M-I-N-O-R-R-E-C-T-A-L-B-L-E-E-D-I-N-G. 

They are worth a catch and are definitely being picked up at some really cool gigs around Austin.
Here are their next gig dates:
Tonight - Sept 25th @ Scoot Inn 9pm
Oct 8th @ Carousel Lounge
Nov 8th @ Hole in the Wall
Nov 20th @ Beauty Bar

Before Conquistador Inc, I got to catch the last few songs from the band straight out of Minneapolis, Minn - The Virgin Whores, who according to me, is total unfiltered punk. These guys had a small but healthy dancing crowd at Head Hunters. I was amazed at their ability to take one word, "Wasted", and use that one word throughout the whole song! It was a great song and made me feel like I should be drinking shots up on stage along with the singer, Johnny Soxxx.

At one point while I was chatting outside with the guys from Conquistador Inc, Soxxx came running out of Head Hunters with his wireless mic and sang to a street full of people on Red River while spitting 5 feet away. When you have a wireless mic, leopard skin tight pants, chains around your belt, and 10x bigger than me with a black banana w/spikes, and in a band called Virgin Whores - well, I respect you and applaud you for wearing those pants & singing to the Austin Red River crowd - you are brave, Mr. Soxxx.

Check these guys out if you get a chance and they are coming to a town near you. I bet you will dig them and want to get "Wasted" over and over again with these guys.I had fun popping my cherry with The Virgin Whores, even if I was outside looking in.

No comments:

Post a Comment