Monday, January 3, 2011

If you are local Austin music or love it you will be out during Free Week

Three nights into Free Week in Austin and I am just getting started.

Sunday night I got to catch Fatback Circus out at Red 7 along with other bands like Gods are Ghosts, Sideshow Tragedy, and Space Case.  Monday night I caught Shitty Carwash, Bubbles, Deer Vibes, and One Hundred Flowers.  I have been pretty happy with all selections, sets, and pretty satisfied even with the sound at these shows for the past three days.  I have gone by Emos and Beerland with all intentions of catching some bands there however since all shows are pretty stacked on the bill I am finding myself having a hard time trying to catch full sets during this years Free Week.

I suggest heading out now, before the weekend, to catch at least a band or two.  Never been to free week? There are many and several suggestions as to where or what to catch when downtown. No cover and all ages are welcome. 21+ always gets in free and Lonestars and PBRs at these venues are always under $2bucks.

I suggest you show up at these venues to listen to these bands, musicians, living artists, and friends play their hearts out all for free!

Suggested listening for Tuesday, Jan 4th and Wednesday, Jan 5th, 2011:

Tues. Jan 4th
Young Girls, A Sky Jet Black, Pink Sugar, Knifight at Beauty Bar if you are down with some 80's influenced techno sounds and danceble beats for your Tuesday fun.

Here is a back seat acoustic performance of the Houston band Young Girls playing in the back seat of a van while riding to Houston.


Find out what Knifight sounds like here and purchase the album too while you are at it. It's hella cheap for some pretty jamming tunes.

If you prefer some minimalist rock and progression in  your music go over to Emos to check out Woodgrain, We'll Go Machete (think early Fugazi), Watching the Moon, Come and Take It, and Half Mile Fox Fur. I'll be there after the Spurs play New York.

Wed. Jan 5th
I am in love with Shapes Have Fangs so naturally I will be at Emos for a hot second or two to catch a great lineup from A Giant Dog, Shapes Have Fangs, Elvis, Rayon Beach, and Fleshlights. I SWOON over Shapes Have Fangs:




You will definitely enjoy A Giant Dog and their live performance. They slightly resemble Sleater Kinney with a little bit of Patti Smith as well.

I also saw Fleshlights back at the Casual Victim Pile Showcase produced by Matador Records in February last year.

Also, be sure to step outside Emos will be the Quiet Company, The Boxing Lesson, Smoke & Feathers, My Education, Red Leaves beginning at 9pm.
I am a big fan of Red Leaves and Quiet Company as well. The Boxing Lesson has had a new 8-song LP since October 2010 that is out called Fur State. I like their live show so much that I purchased the album at their last show at The Mohawk.
According to Red Leaves' twitter, the band will be giving away their newest EP at the show so get there early! They go on at 9pm. 


Go out and see some damn music, please. Maybe tomorrow or sometime later this week YOU can give me some suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment