Sunday, January 2, 2011

Free Week 0- Who to see on the night before you head back to your work week

FREE WEEK is upon us and I am so eager to get into some good shows and see some bands I have been itching to check out but either I was 1) discouraged on cover price, 2) had something going on last time they played at these venues, and 3) even cared a shit to leave home to go stand around and hope that the band I came for can deliver.

Free Week is a time where local (and for the first time since Free Weeks inception - a not so local band) showcase at The Mohawk, Emos, Red 7, Club de Ville, Stubb's, Beerland, The Parish, Beauty Bar, and other venues off Red River.  This is the time you head out to Red River, park off 10th Street, dress warm (mittens, scarfs, leg warmers, & earmuffs), and shell out at least $1.50 for a tallboy PBR to hear some bands that probably practice in your neighborhood and you just don't know it yet.

Here are my pics for the next 2 days - Sunday Jan 2nd and Mon Jan 3rd:

Sunday, Jan 2nd 
Go see Fatback Circus play along side of Gods as Ghosts, Obsolete Machines, SpaceCase, out at Red 7.  Also there will be an indoor show with Sideshow Tragedy, White Rhino, White Dress, and Lights Go Out.
Look for me and I will buy you a beer.  I promise.

Monday, Jan 3rd
My good friend, Antone, has recently mixed, photographed, and passionately (& fashionably) slaved over making a clear & commendable EP called Ventura by the band  Deer Vibes of San Antonio.  The band, Deer Vibes, just had their EP debut this Saturday at the infamous Sams Burget Joint in San Antonio. Think of Deer Vibes as an experimental and ambient orchestral drone that sound like Built to Spill, Appleseed Cast, and Minus the Bear.
Deer Vibes play with One Hundred Flowers, whom I saw 2 years ago at Momos, and Bubbles at the Beauty Bar on the Lords night.

And if your don't dig orchestral with an ambient horn sounds you may want to go over to The Mohawk and see Shitty Carwash if you want to hear some raw punk and thrash. I LOVE this band live! I cannot get enough of the ridiculously loud and shouting matches between the drummer and guitarist. You will have you a ridiculous good time while wanting to continue to drink more and more Jack Daniels as you watch the bands set.  You'll wish you could get back home pronto to smash your television in with a steel baseball bat. (seriously, this is how I feel EVERY TIME I see them - this is a good thing and should be considered a compliment.)

Download Shitty Carwash's entire LP called 1:30 is a little late to be playing in 7 for free here! I guarantee it's a great fucken listen!
Shitty Carwash also plays on the same bill as Hatred Surge at The Mohawk on Jan 3rd.
See Shitty Carwash play "My Cock Tastes Like Techno" here:

No comments:

Post a Comment